Old Thatch inspires Enid Blyton
Enid Blyton discovered Old Thatch in the summer of 1929 when she was looking for a new home. She was immediately enchanted by the cottage.
“It is perfect both outside and in … just like a Fairy Tale house … roses bloom everywhere – there are dozens all hanging gracefully down.”
“You enter through a funny old lychgate. There are big fruit trees shading one end of the house and a lovely silver-leaved tree at the other end.”
The fruit trees are still here today and each year produce great amounts of delicious pears and apples.
Along the side of the cottage, there is an opening into what was once a bowling green, surrounded by “old, old yew hedges, thick and cool, in which hosts of little birds have built their nests.”
Enid Blyton writing outside Old Thatch
photo by kind permission of Gillian Baverstock (elder daughter of Enid Blyton)
The old yew hedge – many decades older now – is also still here. As in Enid Blyton’s time wrens can be seen darting in and out as they nest and feed their young.
From here, the remaining gardens open out. While the two tennis courts, the children’s house and the bridge across the stream have disappeared, several garden features from Enid’s time still survive – an old well, the pond which Enid made herself and the rose arbour with its beautiful combinations of roses and clematis.